Lindsay C. Cutshall
[09/09/81 - 08/15/04]

Lindsay & Jason
Jason S. Allen
[05/16/78 - 08/15/04]

♥ "The sun is going down on the horizon, and all I see is the beams shining on the cliff face, and I know that God is awesome. I look around and see His Creation all around me." --Lindsay ♥                                                                                 ♥ "As I stir this Mac & Cheese, I think to myself, what a wonderful life. I've just spent two awesome days with my fiance, Lindsay. Can life ever be so perfect? Only with a person who is so great. God gives me this privilege in life and He has given me a wonderful woman to enjoy it with." --Jason ♥                                                                                 ♥ "Live for things in heaven, not on earth." --Lindsay ♥                                                                                 ♥ "Heaven will be a wonderful place of no suffering, hurt, loneliness; it's a great thing to look forward to." --Lindsay ♥

Friday, August 15, 2014

Ten years!

A decade. That's how long this has been a reality.


Ten years ago, two humble, adventurous and faith-filled people were murdered. They did nothing to deserve it. It was unprovoked. (How threatening could two people sleeping on a beach be?) Their last words recorded were in a journal that had been previously left on that beach for visitors to sign. They were happy! They were in awe of God and full of joy that they would be married soon! They were blissfully unaware that the unthinkable was about to happen.

There is some consolation in knowing that they didn't see it coming. They weren't in distress. They had no idea that someone with completely evil intentions was about to take their lives. Due to the nature of their injuries, their deaths were swift. So they fell asleep and suddenly they were meeting Jesus face-to-face! That is a beautiful truth that is so comforting... but it doesn't negate the fact that there needs to be justice. Not revenge, but justice.

However, in recognition of this 10-year mark, I want to write about my memories of Jason... to write about his LIFE. He was hilarious and so much fun when we were growing up! Even as a kid, he was adventurous and LOVED to be outside! We were always out in the woods, playing in the yard, climbing trees, riding our bikes on trails, etc. It didn't surprise me that his love for the outdoors continued on into his adulthood. He had (and still does) the most amazing family! Jason was essentially my first real friend. There are pictures of us together at 2 years old. I don't remember a time in my life when I didn't know who Jason Allen was. :) So that's why his sudden and horrifying death affected me so much. I just never EVER imagined anything like that could hit so close to home. It ripped my heart out. :( When I go back and re-read some of my first posts, I can't help but cry because the words bring me right back there and I feel the heaviness of that grief. But 10 years on, I can truly say that God has been so faithful to not let satan have any victories in this tragedy. God brought beautiful things from something that was meant only to destroy. Jason & Lindsay dreamed of starting their own ministry. In death, God has let that ministry continue, albeit in a different way than they had planned. But if they have any idea of how their story has become a ministry of sorts, and how it has changed people's lives for the better because they have come to know Christ... I know they would be so humbled and honored!

For two young adults who traded material possessions to serve the Lord in the great outdoors, they weren't interested in any type of recognition or fame. They loved the ministries they worked in, where they could work with kids and show them the great fun and adventure you can have in God's creation! Tying ministry together with outdoor adventure... for them you couldn't get any better than that. That was their passion and they were living it! They were the real deal! They lived to serve the Lord. So when the sadness creeps in and I'm tempted to focus on the tragedy of their deaths instead of the beauty of their lives, I imagine Jason & Lindsay having a blast in heaven... having the greatest adventures ever... and that one day we will get to join them in that. Beauty from ashes.

Here are photos of them that I will leave uncaptioned. I just want you all to look at them and see their faces. They were real people who were dearly loved and are truly missed. They lived to serve God and serve others. They were funny and fun-loving. They were kind and compassionate. They did nothing to deserve what was done to them.











Please pray for justice for Jason & Lindsay! Not only because their killer needs to be held accountable for what he did, but to protect anyone else who may be in danger. I pray that someone reading this knows something about who did this. If you are that person, PLEASE do the right thing and come forward! There is still a $50,000 reward from the State of California for information that will lead detectives to the killer. Ten years is too long. These families deserve answers.

~~~~~~~~


Here is a beautiful tribute from Jason's family that is to be read at the memorial service in Jenner, California today:

Psalm 98:

"O sing to the Lord a new song, for He has done wonderful things, His right hand and His holy arm have gained the victory for Him. The Lord has made known His salvation; He has revealed His righteousness in the sight of the nations. He has remembered His lovingkindness and His faithfulness to the house of Israel. All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.

Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth! Break forth and sing for joy and sing praises. Sing praises to the Lord with the lyre, with the lyre and the sound of melody. With trumpets and the sound of the horn, shout joyfully before the King, the Lord.

Let the sea roar and all it contains, the world and those who dwell in it. Let the rivers clap their hands, let the mountains sing together for joy before the Lord, for He is coming to judge the earth; He will judge the world with righteousness and the peoples with equity."


We thank you for gathering here today to remember our children. We cannot be with you physically, but as our family stands along the shores of Lake Michigan this morning, our hearts join you in spirit.

As we reflect upon Jason and Lindsay, we are reminded how blessed we are that God entrusted them to us. We also recall how their lives influenced others.

First of all, they influenced those who knew them intimately. The friendships they made were genuine and lasting. They loved adventure and were fun to be with. They knew how to enjoy God’s great outdoors. Yet, beyond that wild and crazy side, they both had a quiet reflective side — a side that directed their hearts to seek and develop a relationship with Christ. Consequently, God gave them a longing to tell others of His love and called them to ministry.

Secondly, Jason and Lindsay influenced others in their deaths. Their legacy, their testimony, has touched the hearts of many around the world. God has used this tragedy to point others to Christ. This is how we remember our children, and it has been our great comfort.

Psalm 98 is full of praise to our great God. Jason and Lindsay join in the roaring of the sea, the clapping of the rivers and the singing of the mountains. Let us rejoice with them in the salvation of the Lord, knowing we will see them again.

May Jesus Christ be praised!

Bob and Delores Allen and family


Jason Scott Allen & Lindsay Christine Cutshall

~10 years in heaven today~

Forever in our hearts... until eternity!

4 Comments:

At 11:12 AM, Blogger DebS said...

I would like to attend the memorial service for Jason and Lindsey today. I live about an hour north of Jenner and drive by there fairly often, never without thinking of them.

Can you tell me exactly when and where the service will be?

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Janna said...

I don't know off-hand, but I will try to find out for you and post again here! That is nice of you to want to attend.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Janna said...

Deb, still no response. I'm sure they are very busy today. If I do hear back, it may be too late by that time but I will comment here again once I know for sure. Sorry!

 
At 8:09 PM, Blogger DebS said...

Janna, thanks so much for trying. I reached out to a couple of other people and learned when and where the memorial was held. I had short notice to get there and then got stuck behind a logging truck so I was a few minutes late. But I made it!

The memorial was held at Goat Rock Beach which is on the other side of the mouth of the Russian River from where the murders happened. It started at 10:30 am and it was very foggy. The service itself was quite uplifting and quite religious. Lindsey's parents and sister were there as well as many, many of Jason and Lindsey's friends. Also there were the proprietors of the camp where Jason and Lindsey were working at the time of their deaths. A couple of the other counselors that had worked with them at the camp were there as well. One or the other of Jason's parents was too ill to make the trip so his family was home having their own memorial somewhere on Lake Michigan at the same time.

Nearly everyone who was at the service came forward to say a word or two about the couple and their strong religious faith. Hymns were sung and the bible was quoted. It was very interesting to me from a religious point of view, as I'm am not particularly religious, to hear Lindsey's father say many times that he was happy and thankful the couple was in heaven with Jesus. While the manner of their deaths was certainly horrific Pastor Cutshall believed that they were in a better place than here on earth and was looking forward to the time they would meet again in heaven. There is no doubt that both of Lindsey's parents dearly miss both Lindsey and Jason but they have come to terms with their deaths through their belief in Jesus.

Law enforcement was at the memorial. A couple of detectives were there in street clothes and uniformed sheriff's were stationed in the parking lot. I noticed as I drove down from the north that there were two sheriff's cars parked in a pullout that had a real clear vantage point of the spot where the murders occurred and they were still parked there an hour or more later when I headed back home.

Someone kindly gave me one of the flyers (I know that's not the correct word but I don't what that word would be) from the service. They could see that I was having trouble with the hymns, I think! And although I brought my camera I did not feel it was appropriate for me to be taking pictures.

Janna if you email me I would be happy to send you scans of the "flyer". stones4deb@msn.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

NOTE: To view all posts, please go to Archives (in right column).