Lindsay C. Cutshall
[09/09/81 - 08/15/04]

Lindsay & Jason
Jason S. Allen
[05/16/78 - 08/15/04]

♥ "The sun is going down on the horizon, and all I see is the beams shining on the cliff face, and I know that God is awesome. I look around and see His Creation all around me." --Lindsay ♥                                                                                 ♥ "As I stir this Mac & Cheese, I think to myself, what a wonderful life. I've just spent two awesome days with my fiance, Lindsay. Can life ever be so perfect? Only with a person who is so great. God gives me this privilege in life and He has given me a wonderful woman to enjoy it with." --Jason ♥                                                                                 ♥ "Live for things in heaven, not on earth." --Lindsay ♥                                                                                 ♥ "Heaven will be a wonderful place of no suffering, hurt, loneliness; it's a great thing to look forward to." --Lindsay ♥

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Eleven years...


Jason & Lindsay ice skating in Michigan in early 2004. I love this photo of them!


This is the day, 11 years ago, when Jason & Lindsay died... but also the day that their eternal lives began. It is a bittersweet dichotomy in so many ways. I know I can't even begin to imagine what heaven is like. None of us truly can! We all have some picture in our head of what it is like, but we are humanly incapable of fully grasping it. So it is surreal to realize that for believers/followers of Christ, heaven is only a breath away! We don't know how long we have here. We could be here one minute and gone the next. I never dreamed Jason (or anyone I knew) would die so young. It was a startling reminder of how fragile our human lives are... and how precious.

I still think about him and Lindsay often. I have a picture of them in my room and every time I see it, I am reminded of so many things: the shock, the absolute heartbreak, the crushing grief... but moreso now, I remember the closeness I felt to God at that time, the peace that He gave me (and still does), and the ability to see beauty in the midst of that chaos. I also think about the HOPE that I have because of Jesus and because I know that Jason & Lindsay ARE with Him! Jason & Lindsay lived their lives to serve the Lord and that has been an inspiration to so many people, myself included. Their legacy has really compelled me to seek out ways that I can serve God and others. I know I am not the only one! The best triumph that I have seen God bring out of this tragedy are the souls saved for eternity because of Jason & Lindsay's story! That is truly priceless!

God is in the business of bringing beauty from the ashes. He is deeply grieved when we are grieved. He wants to walk with us through our grief but also our joy. If we invite Him into our lives, He brings divine perspective and a sense of peace that we would never otherwise have. In every circumstance, God has a plan for good for those who love Him. There are many things in this world that have happened that I don't understand (and may never understand), but I do know that God is eternally and infinitely sovereign, good, loving, gracious, merciful, holy and just. If we never see justice for Jason & Lindsay in this lifetime, their killer will still stand before God one day, no matter what, and justice will be served. However, I hope that he seeks God's forgiveness and mercy while he is still alive, if he is still alive, because the redeeming power of Christ and an eternity in heaven is possible for him as well. I'd rather see his life be redeemed than his soul lost forever (and I know that Jason & Lindsay's families feel the same way). God's mercy extends to EVERYONE but it is up to us to repent, turn away from our sin, and to accept Christ's gift of salvation. The gift of salvation from Christ is life-changing and life-giving and the most incredible thing (for lack of a better word) that will ever happen to us! There are many people who think it is impossible to know that God exists, but that isn't true. Besides the fact that there is evidence of God everywhere in creation, if you want to KNOW that God is real, seek Him sincerely. If you want to know God and you seek Him, you WILL find Him.

"For since the creation of the world, God's invisible qualities — His eternal power and divine nature — have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse." ~Romans 1:20

"You will seek Me and find Me when you seek Me with all your heart." ~Jeremiah 29:13

"But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul." ~Deuteronomy 4:29

These last 11 years have flown by (as time almost always does) and so much has happened since Jason & Lindsay died. There have been many challenges but many blessings as well. Last year, the Allen family dealt with another unimaginable tragedy when Jason's sister and brother-in-law lost their infant son Caleb to a genetic disorder. As difficult as that has been for them, God has been faithful to carry them through it. It sure is awesome to know that Caleb is having a blast in heaven with his Uncle Jason & Aunt Lindsay! They died before their niece and nephews were born, so they never got to experience the joys of being an uncle and aunt... but they do have that now. That is so completely amazing!

To conclude, Jason's mom wrote something to share here that I think is pretty awesome!

Jason,

For eleven years I have kept your T shirts, hoping to make a keepsake quilt from them. I never seemed to have the motivation to start. This past spring, I gave a local ministry called Living Threads, your shirts and requested a T Shirt Quilt be made. Today I picked up the beautiful piece of workmanship. I love it! We look at the names of places you have traveled, worked in ministry, attended school and just enjoyed life all across the country, and they bring back so many memories of the stories you shared with us. I look forward to wrapping myself in it on a cold wintry Michigan day. :)

We are so thankful we had you for 26 years. Looking forward to giving you a big hug someday and having you for eternity!

Love, Mom


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

NOTE: To view all posts, please go to Archives (in right column).